The temperatures are jumping into the 90s this weekend in Boise, making air conditioning a lifesaver for many people. However, if the AC gives out in this heat, it’s best to know how to stay cool until Diamond Heating and Cooling can come and fix the problem.
Here are some tips and tricks for staying as cool as possible while the air conditioner is broken:
- Draw the Shades.
Sunlight coming through the windows can quickly heat up the inside of a home. Close the shades during the day to keep the cool air in and the warm air out as much as possible.
- Use Fans.
Although they don’t cool the air, fans will help the room feel cooler when someone is in it. Use box fans and ceiling fans to circulate the air. The switch on the ceiling fan should be set to turn the fan counter clockwise. This pulls up the hot air and circulates the cooler air down below.
- Avoid Cooking.
Using the stove or oven will only heat the house, making it more unbearable. Eat cold dinners, use the outdoor grill, or choose foods that can be microwaved to avoid adding more heat.
Set a bowl of ice in front of a box fan and it will feel like a mini air conditioner. It might not be a permanent solution, but it can help in a pinch.
Taking a cool shower before bed can help lower the body temperature, making it a little more comfortable at night.
When the AC stops working, call Diamond Heating and Cooling right away at (208) 378-6624. We will get the system back up and running as fast as possible with no after hours service fees. In the meantime, try some of the tips listed above.
Should I Upgrade My Thermostat?
Homeowners who don’t have a programmable thermostat could be missing out on some key benefits. Upgrading the thermostat to a programmable style can make the home more comfortable, save on energy, and more.
The 3 main benefits of having a programmable thermostat are:
- Comfort. Often homeowners must choose between keeping the home comfortable for when they return from work, or saving energy and money during the day. With a programmable thermostat, this choice is void. It can be programmed so the temperature remains warmer during the day to save energy, and kick on right before everyone gets home to create a more comfortable environment.
- Energy Savings. When the thermostat can be adjusted for different hours and comfort levels, it saves energy. It uses less energy when programmed to be a few degrees warmer while everyone is away, which in turn saves homeowners money on their next energy bill.
- Options. There are a wide range of programmable thermostats available to fit any lifestyle and preference. Some thermostats can control humidity, remind users to replace the filter, be controlled from a phone, etc. Finding one to work with day-to-day life, vacations, and more is easy.
Homeowners who are considering upgrading the thermostat, but aren’t sure which one to choose should ask themselves these questions:
- Is the energy bill increasing?
- Is it hard to keep the home comfortable?
- Is it easy to forget to change the temperature before leaving?
If the answer to one or more of these is yes, it is time to switch to a programmable thermostat. Diamond Cooling and Heating can assist with making sure everything is set up properly for the new thermostat so homeowners can experience the benefits. Fill out our online contact form here!